homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:14:35 -0800

The U.S. Embassy in Pakistan was bombed in November, 1979. All U.S. citizen travel was strickly limited after that AND the U.S. sending troups in (1980) to assist the Pakistanis fight off the Russians if they attempted to cross the border from Afghanistan. 1981 continued the instability with the hijacking of flight PK-326. Pakistan did not encourage foreigners to visit as at that time as they weird paranoid over "spys" as they were busy working on a nuclear device which was successful in 1982.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

Lynn, Marie...
Just a minor correction here...This 'tourist' was a member of the press.
Barbara Crossette is the tourist, and while the article is dated in
June of 1981, She mentions "during our stay in January"
Pakistan was an ally of the US-remember that Russia was in Afghanistan
and Pakistan was basically a refugee country. Due to the increasing
strictness of Islamic law, non-Muslims were generally not welcome unless
they had some kind of official business, like the press would have
covering the refugee crisis, or like aid workers would have, etc. It
was a volatile, dynamic situation, and just because all was calm while
Crossette was there in January, that doesn't mean that things were
'tourist-friendly' later in the year.

I know everyone here probably has me pegged squarely in the 'NOBAMA'
corner, but you'd be wrong. Do I like the guy? I'll say this...I like
the guy about as much as I like Sarah Palin, and I don't trust either of
them to do what is best for the country in the long run. As people,
Obama is growing on me, and the more I learn about him the more he
reminds of a guy I met in college-(I really had a crush on him, but for
the life of me, I can't remember his name(if I could, I'd find him on
Facebook!)) and I really, really envy Sarah Palin's life of leisure up
there in Alaska, with her moose hunting, fishing, lakefront living
lifestyle<g>.
Anyway, in an attempt to find a month in 1981 of when Obama went to
Pakistan, I came across this page, and I wanted to pass it on to you all
even though it is 14 months old and you probably already read this. It
should be of interest to all: those who love our President, those who do
not trust our President, and those who are reserving judgment.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004417706_apyoungobama2ndldwritethru.html

Bev

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/