homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:21:57 -0800

Well, actually, yes <g> I do genealogy and come from a family of "collectors" of all things "historical." I have mine and a whole bunch of other folks. Plus I DH's grandparents (from Italy) passports and a whole bunch of others. I even have all my SS cards. I never give things back, I keep them all. "lost" doncha know <g>

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

If you recall, there was also a big stink about people accessing Joe the
Plumber's records. People do things like that. I assume if there had been
any juicy information about Obama, we'd have heard. We sure got juicy trash
about Joe.

The records might say how long Obama's had a US passport, but they don't
record where you have been. I had a passport in the late 1970's, and
travelled to several foreign countries...when I came back, they DID NOT
record where I'd been (i.e. what stamps I had). Remember, everything was
done by hand and paper then; no global databases. They just recorded that I
re-entered the country and checked to make sure it was a legit passport.

You get a new passport when the old one expires; I assume most people throw
the old one away, like old Drivers' Licenses (could you produce your
Drivers' License from 28 years ago if you needed to prove something?).
Your passport pages (the stamps, etc.) aren't, or at least weren't back
then, recorded anywhere, so there probably IS nothing to show. And you
ABSOLUTELY don't need a 'long form' Birth Certificate to get a passport;
it's a federal document, so the rules are the same throughout the country.
All I have is the 'short form', and I've gotten a passport, SS#, voter card,
etc. It's all the proof I've ever needed that I'm a citizen..I wouldn't even
know how to get my 'long form' birth certificate....the state only offers
birth and death certificates.