homestead - Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse on hilly lot

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse on hilly lot
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:18:36 -0400

Jeanne, do you have a south-facing window where you could build out
and hang a planting box outside? Or, better, enlarge the window and do
a substantial window box? That would provide winter veggies and help
heat the house.

Yes I face the south and passive solar heat my entire house in the winter.
My front yard is only 20 feet before I fall off the edge and down a hill. It
is not in my budget to do what you suggest. It has been a dream to have a
grow room, but in this economy and at my age of 74 I would not qualify for a
loan and I do not really want one!. No side yards and only a 15 foot deep
back yard. Will keep you all posted on how I do with the barrels in a
raised bed with my flexible fiberglass rods and remay to cover the plants.
My raised bed became full of roots from the forest, so I have gone to 21
inch by18 inch deep black barrels sunk into about a foot of dirt.
One great thing I have discovered is that the cats do not like the barrels so
they do not use them for a bathroom like they did the raised bed!!!
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6