homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:01:56 -0800

Have you tried adding coir to your soil?

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gil" <gil.white AT xplornet.com>

I'm used to not enough water and poor soil - I'm basically sitting on top of
glacial till and soon to be surrounded by a gravel pit - but I've had a lot
of trouble the last few years with germination and transplanting. Usually no
problem transplanting peppers or tomatoes, and potatoes come up fine. I get
a few - like one or two - carrots or lettuce coming up. I've tried shade
cloth and even burlap - I'm away all day in the big city and just can't seem
to keep them moist enough.