homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:55:37 -0800

I started with one row. Then decided that to get some in the freezer I'd need to plant one to eat, one to get to the freezer. So, now I'm at three rows. I think it is like miscellaneous paper. No matter how many file cabinets you buy to get organized, the papers will multiple to fit them. Peas are the same. I'll bet if I planted 10 rows they would still get eaten before they could get to the freezer. DH is already talking about putting them in salads, so if I expand to four rows next year I'm sure they will only make it as far as the salads. Oh well, they sure are good and good for you, so the veggies are being eaten and that's the main thing!

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

The ONLY way to get my kids into the garden is to tell them that there are
peas ready. The peas never make it into the house. I have to get my share
before the kids get there. I wonder how many I'd have to plant to actually
get enough to cook for dinner, or maybe even freeze? Maybe next year I'll
plant rows and rows of peas instead of corn. I can buy good local sweet
corn, but can't buy good peas.