homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 06:31:26 -0700 (PDT)

Planted onions sets (no idea what kind - but yellowish) purchased at
Walmart.... they are all harvested now, but they were on the small side.
They taste good, and I have lots of them, but I was disappointed in the size
at harvest.

During the winter I started yellow onion seeds inside, moved them outside
when the frosty nights stopped, and transplanted them.  Those are close to
harvest size now as the first couple of tops in the group are leaning over.
The onions are huge 4" plus in diameter.  Meanwhile about a month or so ago I
started more seeds in the pots to make my own onion sets, some red some
yellow, for next spring.

I'm shocked at the size of the sunflowers in one of the gardens.  Over 8'
tall.  I know it says that on the package.... but seeing them grow that tall
so fast is just something else.  The flowers are opening up and I can't wait
to find out firsthand how the seeds mature :-)

I harvested my first eggplant yesterday and turned it into grilled eggplant
teriyaki. Yum.

About a month ago I was thinking that I planted the plants too far apart....
this week I can barely walk thru the garden.

I'm done canning green beans - what a (rewarding) chore that was!  I still
have beans to pick every day; Mom wants frozen green beans so I'm freezing
the extras every day for her.

The melon patches, and various summer & winter squash patches are even more
out of control.....

I dug up about 20# of potatoes the other day, much to my surprise.  It seems
like the worst looking the plant gets the more little new stalons it puts
out.  The weirdest behaving potato plants are the ones in the tires.... they
flowered a couple months ago, and stayed green, and are flowering again.  Who
knows what is going on down inside.... I guess I'll have to dig down and find
out....

Having fun in the garden..........