homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:12:34 -0800

You can tell a blackberry from a raspberry, black, red or yellow, very easily. Don't need a book or anything else. A blackberry stays "intact" and a raspberry comes off the core when you pick them. The other way to tell the difference is that raspberries grow on canes and blackberries go on brambles.

And, no, blackberries are not raspberries but some berries that are sometimes referred to as blackberries are crosses.

So, being a berry nut, here's my short course on berries. 1. You are correct in that the same berries or very *similar* berries will have different names and some will have the same names but be different berries from one coast to the other. Are we confused yet <g>

The black raspberries that are native to the West Coast are Rubus leucodermis. Generally referred to as Black Cap raspberries, Western raspberry, White bark raspberry or Cut leaf raspberry.

On the East Coast you have the Black raspberry, Rubus occidentalis. Lots of
folks confuse these with blackberries. AKA, on the East Coast, as wild black raspberry, black caps, black cap raspberry, and thimbleberry.

Red raspberries are Rubus idaeus (European red) and Rubus strigosus
(American red). There are also R. arcticus (Arctic), R. crataegifolius
(Korean), R. odoratus (Flowering), and R. phoenicolasius (Wine Raspberry,
Wineberry).

They are all in the geneus Rubus, subgenus ldaeobatus.

Now, *real* blackberries, on the other hand are from the same genus (Rubus)
but the subgenus Rubus (used to be called Eubatus). They are R. fruticosus
(common blackberry).

The Pacific Coast Blackberry is R. ursinus. The Himalayan blackberry is R.
armeniacus.

Now, for real fun, then you get into the raspberry/blackberry crosses like
the loganberry (Rubus x loganobaccus) and the boysenberry (Rubus ursinus x
idaeus). And several other crosses and crosses of crosses which resulted in
Youngberry, Olallieberry, Santiam berry, Chehelem blackberry and, my
favorite, Marionberry (Rubus L. subgenus Rubus).

And then you have some oddballs like the salmonberry which is not in a
subgensus and is simply R. spectabilis. They grow up and down the Pacific
coast and were imported to Europe to be grown as a flowering shrub. They
have really bright pink flowers.

Now, for some trivia. The red raspberries contain lots of antioxidants and other goodies but the black raspberries contain more of everything. They contain lots of nutrients plus chemopreventive vitamins and phytochemicals (Beta-Carotene,
Courmaric acid, Ellgitanins, Anthocyanins, Ferulic acid and Ellagic acid).

It isn't just the berry that is a good thing in your diet. The leaves, stems AND roots have been traditionally used from all the rubus. The leaves have been dried and used in teas medicinally as far back, that can be proven, as the 1500s in Asia, Greece and Africa! HOWEVER, it should be noted that the leaves of all rubus can develope a toxin if not completely dried before use (ie. don't partially dry, you want them brittle and dry as paper!).

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley