homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 13:54:21 -0400

Lynda wrote:
Been picking a ton of Black Cap raspberries. The red raspberries are just now setting fruit. My Marionberries are flowering and some have set fruit.

This brings up a topic/issue for me. Some of these berries, I'm telling you, man, I wouldn't know one from the other. I think in some cases the same plant/fruit has a different name by location. I read someplace that a black raspberry is the same as a blackberry. I still don't know if that is true. So here is my question...is there some definitive source that encompasses all North American berries of the blackberry/raspberry family, both wild and cultivated varieties?
I just made 12 half pints of blackberry jam, and I hope I labeled it right. I picked the berries wild from the mountain behind me.

Went down to the river to look at
our favorite blackberry picking area and it is LOADED! So we'll have lots of blackberry pies and lots of jam

It was a good blackberry year here, too.

The veggies are coming along. We're still getting lots of peas. They never seem to make it to the freezer. Everyone seems to think that the 3 rows of peas are a buffet and every single time someone goes outside they walk through the rows eating peas.

What kind of peas are you growing?

The zucs are already loaded with fruit. The watermelon, cantalope, lemon cucumbers, pickling cucumbers and pumpkins are all doing well.

Lemon cukes..I've seen the seeds...describe the taste and how you use them.

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/