homestead - Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Summer happenings
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:59:12 -0700 (PDT)

Of course, it being my first time, I don't have anything to compare
production to .....  All I know is everyday I have to pick something... and
sometimes for hours (beans).

I know I was startled when Bev posted how tall her corn was,,, mine was and
still is pathetic.

And I do find it really interesting to see what and when others are
harvesting for comparison, even though zone differences.

I didn't have any bugs for the longest time, and suddenly they've appeared.
So I've gotten in the habit of picked and squishing whatever I find.
ughghhghghg LOL, but I don't want to use chemicals.

One thing I have noticed --------- since I've started eating zero chem
veggies, is I feel much fuller for longer than the store bought (and
presumable chemical raised) veggies.  I was thinking it was all in my head at
first........ until I came across something the other day that claims that
the chemical raised veggies do not have anywhere near the nutrients that are
supposed to be in veggies - something like 50% less nutrients.  Does anyone
know if that true?

I don't know if I have a green thumb, at the moment I'm thinking beginners
luck.  I did spend time looking things up, and even laid out the garden
planting along the irrigation lines based on which ones need more water than
others, and which plants are going to need to be watered longer than others
so I don't waste any water.

I thought I planted various curcubits far enough apart...... NOT !!!  But at
least I have multiple gardens and have the ones that will cross 100' apart
from each other.... probably a short distance for the bees though,,,, they
love those flowers.

I find honey bees in the curcubits every morning and evening.  And there are
large black bees that prefer the bean flowers.  I don't have a clue what the
tiny flourescent green bees are, but those were around more when the potatoes
were flowering.

I have to laugh in the garden some days.... I was digging up some new
potatoes and found a "soft" one and was thinking, oh no I watered too much
and the potato is rotting.  It turned out to be a toad.  Now I'm finding them
all over the garden - good they eat bugs....

There were about 40 quail in the garden the other morning... I don't know
what they were doing, and I'm hoping they were just getting something to
drink from the drip irrigation lines and not checking to see if the tomatoes
were ripe yet..... I need to order bird netting....

The worst is still the ground squirrels.......... they have tasted &
rejected, or tasted and eaten every single new veggie.  They seem to really
like the cukes.  I put mouse & rat traps near anything growing they are
likely to eat.  They bump into them and the snapping trap scares them away,,,
for a while at least.

Overall though I like going out and just watching how everything seems to
work in coordination.... the male flowers come out first to attract the bees
and other bugs that seem to pollinate too, a couple days later the female
flowers open up.

Oh well,,,,,,,, I sure am having fun, even on the days that my butt muscles
hurt from bending over for so long.