homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:26:40 -0400

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I worry about my nephews being socially retarded, though.

Rob,

Unless they never ever take part in anything or run errands with a parent,
they'll be just fine. My relatives thought the same thing of my boys. During
the course of a week we went to the grocery store where they interacted with
store employees, to Chess Club (founded in town by my husband- interaction
with peers--many homeschoolers though not all), many hours were spent at the
public library (interaction with librarians and patrons of all ages) and so
on. Additionally, they each played soccer in fall and spring--more
interaction with peers, parents and a coach. As time went by, both boys
attended a summer camp (not every summer) and various low cost local art or
science classes.

My husband teaches guitar (and now mandolin) to several homeschool students
during the day. They are definitely not behind socially--they are pleasant
children to be around. Our own boys are very socially well-rounded, in fact,
as with other children of members of this list, they've always been
complimented on their nice manners and behavior. They can comfortably talk
with adults. Our oldest son has held down a part-time job (now full-time)
since he was 16. He's 19 as of today. He works in a natural food store with
a 20 employees, over half are women my age or older and he manages to get
along with them. ;)

Something to tihnk about is look at it from the other direction: many bad
habits are learned from attending public school. You are exposed to both the
good and the stuff you'd rather not be exposed to. You may choose to not
pick up bad habits or behaviors but public schoolers are certainly exposed
to them and have to make that choice for themself. As my husband often said,
the social skills learned at public school are overrated.

So, don't worry, your nephews will be great. Support them in their decision
as you see fit. :)

Lisa
sw VA