homestead - Re: [Homestead] ants

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ants
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 03:30:17 -0800 (PST)

Thanks.  I don't think it was birds, but only because I had the seeds planted
in flats which were inside an enclosed cold frame (glass top, wood sides).
But underneath the flats I found ant tunnels.  Last year when I planted seeds
direct into soil first thing I noticed was the birds attacked them :-) so I
figured I needed to start in flats so the birds wouldn't get into the seed.

I replanted day before yesterday, and this time won't move the flats outside
to the cold frame until the seeds sprout.  I suppose another explanation
could be temps either too cold or too warm, or inconsistent moisture -
although I was checking on temps & moisture every 3 hrs.

The guy in the earthship is growing potatoes here, and says he planted 2
weeks ago.

I have mine in, experimenting between tires method and rows.  I used some
bean straw as mulch over the potatoes in the tires.... and have discovered
that there are a lot of "free" pinto beans in the bean straw.... so I started
shaking the straw out and have been collecting the beans.  So far 1/2 pound
out of just 1/4 of a bale of straw... Looks like I'm going to get a good
yield of free beans out of 4 bales, just for the efforts of shaking the straw
and using eagle eyes.  I wound up planting a bunch of the beans since the
ones that had gotten wet were sprouting already.  Its probably too soon to
plant though.... the mesquite trees haven't started new growth yet, and the
locals say don't plant outside until then as somehow the mesquite trees know
when the last frost is.  I've accidently fallen asleep a few times the last
last with the windows open, and I definitely haven't been cold.

I moved to the desert 1 year ago,  At the moment it seems about 10 degrees
warmer overnight and about the same as last year during the day.  At least
there aren't the daily sandstorms like last year, not yet.  Haven't seen a
drop of rain here in a while, maybe 2 months or so.  That part I don't mind
at the moment because I've been busy outside raking up dried weeds making a
very wide fire break around the property since there is a high fire danger
this year and there was some weird outbreak of some kind of awful weed.  No
rain makes it easier to work outside as the soil get pretty soft with rain.

Looking forward to getting everything in the ground.

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell