homestead - Re: [Homestead] State vs. Fed

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] State vs. Fed
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:44:57 -0800

Oh, IL corruption goes WAY back. Every state has a few good guys but IL is reknown for its corruption. Kerner and Rostenkowski come to mind. And how soon we forget. I mean Ryan was, what, just before ol' Blago and he was convicted of dozens of felonies. Of course, Chicago is THE poster child for corruption. What is it, something like 100 convicted politicians in the last 20 or 30 years and 500 for one section of the state along.

My grandmother's brothers have lived in Springfield since before when and her foster parents were born there in the mid-1800s and I have their correspondence about the graft and so on.

Yeah, California has had its share too but per capita, we're way behind. We also have an inclination, at least up here in NorCal to kick them to the curb.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

' a couple of things I don't understand in your post, you write Blago's "pay-to-play-, but Illinois has been involved in pay-to-play as well as other illegal and unethical political mechanizations since before my birth. All govt's have it to a degree -- "power corrupts" ; but of State governments in this country Louisiana and Illinois have long been recognized as the most systemically corrupt.

I said the above from a non-Illinoian POV, because, of questions I have about the nature of the President. Any politician, from any state ,has to have high degree of ego, & personal and professional ruthlessness, to get to that level-- that is to be expected, from anyone, from anywhere.

But, just how 'clean' could an Illionois machine politician be? Simon always appeared to be honest, maybe he was ...I don't know. But any establishment or machine politician from either Illionois or Louisiana is especially suspect just because of the systemic nature of the corruption in thiose particular states.

dirksen ; to be lauded for his vote on the '64 Civil Rights Bill, still profitted for his family and circle from his political status, just as Al Gore Sr. , who voted against the same bill, made his family and friends rich from politicl influence peddling ( He was Armand Hammer's 'bottom wh*re" for years, )

I have no knock against the people or the geography of Illinois, and there are some corrupt politicians who retain admirable qualities (Russell Long,LA, as he beacme older, would be a good example), but to put the in-granied corruption on the back of one politician doesn't make sesnse to me. Blago just played well in a natural system of corruption.

Anyway, the President has a lot on his plate, I guess we will see his level of committment to the Constitution , sooner rather than later. But, the last President from Illinois treated the Constitution like a dirty handkerchief, and there wasn't the 'machine' yet in place, so maybe the opposite of history will prove to be the positive, this time..........

--- On Sun, 2/22/09, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Lynda
<lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> When I worked for the school district as registrar at
the high school I had
> to work with schools and district offices in all 50
states and multiple
> cities within each. When I worked at the CC, I had to
work with folks in
> states all over ..... So, I'm not judging those
getting paid by the taxpayer by CA workers, I'm
> judging them by all those folks I had to deal with and
it is scary to think
> so many goldbricks, and to be quite honest, Peter
Principle folks, are out
> there collecting a paycheck!

And as we say, while taking deep breaths, the effing moron
teachers
who call us are the minority.

> I think it is great that you believe you're
working with the exceptions but
> statistics would say otherwise.

No, I don't believe the hardworking people I work with
are the
exceptions. Until the last couple of years the State Board
was immune
to placinjg
Blago's morons, and we really are pretty much highly
qualified for
what we do. AND, we'll be lark happy to see the
backsides of the
pay-for-play folks.

For what it'sworth, until Blago raised his ugly head,
the State Board
was free of all political influence, which is the only
reason I ever
got a job there.

And, your state routinely votes in folks
> like Blogo, Daley and Teflon, so I'm not thinking
it's all peaches and cream
> out there.

We've also voted in people like Everett Dirksen,Paul
Douglas, and Paul
Simon. Right now we have a slate of constitutional officers
who could
all run for the Senate or governorship with no whisper
about their
backgrounds.
.

> And, while I know this state is currently in trouble,
everyone better start
> praying or whatever ya do because if CA goes down the
John-E

Looks like you may have a budget. Hope it works.

Marie
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/bobford79%40yahoo.com