homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:43:57 -0500

Sorry to be late addressing this, but I just got home.

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Jan 26, 2009, at 10:39 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

What am I missing, Gene...tell me now before I smash up all that sheetrock and ruin my wonderful soil..

Reread my words. I didn't say for sure, I said "there may well be."

So you did, but you felt strongly enough to write the cautionary post to
begin with, and that was your only point. So I will press you on what
you are cautious of and why. I am apparently not the only interested
party considering that others have also recycled sheetrock by crumbling
it and spreading it around.

But my foggy gray is telling me it has seen words about mold-proofing
chemicals.

I will research that, thanks, but what I have is straight USG gypsum
board...nothing fancy.

Bev, I am a country boy who likes to keep things simple. I do not put
anything in my garden that gives me any pause. I do not knowingly use chemicals that man has manipulated. I think like biodynamics practitioners: my property is my garden and my use of it is as a closed loop; very little is allowed in that does not grow or exist there, save seeds.

I would not have brought that sheetrock onto my property. You did, so
here is what I suggest: put in under fruit trees and ornamentals where it will not leach into your veggie growing soil. That is what I
do with my raw humanure, which I believe to be safe but I choose to
err on the side of caution.

Your note sounds a bit condescending, Gene. You seem to imply that you
are a more concerned and careful gardener than I am.

This sheetrock is made from natural materials and is not some Monsanto
product. Not all sheetrock is mold resistant. Some sheetrock, like that
which is in my barn, is just sheets of gypsum-rock-no mold inhibitors or
anything else. The rock is mined, powdered made into a solution with
water, poured into a mold, dried, and wrapped in a paper label.

Why would you not have brought "that sheetrock" onto your property, and
what harmful evil do you think *might* leach out of it?

That is a strong statement.

You know that old saying..."Make sure you're right, then go ahead"???
I have made as sure as I can that using this sheetrock is okay. We
discussed this once before on the list, I researched it then(MSDS and
all that), forgot about the sheetrock(it is out of sight in a horse
stall) and now I am discussing it again just to make sure, even down to
asking James how much over what area just to be safe-and Don response
gave me a how often guideline, but even with all of that, I don't think
I am omniscient and hold that someone out there might have a point I
haven't considered. So when you make a strong statement like you did,
you will need to back it up with more than what your 'foggy gray'
recalls<g>, that is, if you care. If you don't care, then nevermind<g>.

Gene, I am a bit shocked that after all of these years that you don't
realize that I am 1000% more careful than most people, because I care
about my land long term. I have spent hundreds of dollars to test and
prove that my soil is free(and continues to be free) of toxins, and I
want to treat my food and veggies as medicinal; I want them to be as
nutritious as possible.
I should not even have to write that, but since we have new members who
don't know me that well, I feel obligated to defend myself. What I
don't understand is your attitude about this sheetrock....

Bev
--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge