homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:52:02 -0800

> If I busted up a 4x8 sheet, how would you spread that out and how long
> would you wait until you 'amended' the soil again?

No need to buy sheets of Drywall, just go buy bags of Gypsum unless you have
a pile of scrap drywall left over. Gypsum is best for heavy clay soil. The
gypsum helps break up the bonding and loosens the soil. In heavy adobe I
added gypsum every year.

Speaking of post homes, I did that in the adobe we called soil. In some
areas a hand post hole digger worked after I wet the soil the first couple
of inches then it hit rocks. In other areas I was able to use a powered
digger and a garden hose unless there were rocks. In most of the 1200'
fence I rented a Skid Steer with an auger on the front. On many holes I had
the front wheels off the ground and still the auger just spun moving a
little dirt. The only time to dig in that stuff was after several weeks of
rain.

Don Bowen KI6DIU