homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:50:02 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 1/26/09, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> one massive upheaval of stone from days long past! We got
> down about 8" or
> so and the thing hit a massive stone. Well, back then we
> were young and
> svelte and the auger stopped but the top/handles
> didn't. We must have
> looked like a whirly gig <g> The neighbor took pitty
> on us and came over
> with his tractor and sunk the rest of the holes for us!

I'm feeling just a little left out, as I have no stones in my topsoil. There
is rock underneath and at least one outcrop where I hope to be able to quarry
sandstone for building facing.
I had a problem somewhat like Lynda's due to clay. I was drilling for a
friend with his rather large auger on my Ford 9N. I pushed down to fast and
the auger got stuck in the clay. Since my Ford does not have a live PTO, I
couldn't raise the auger without it continuing to dig in. I finally had to
disconnect the auger blade pull it out by hand, then put it back on. By
trial and error I learned that I could dig about one turn in and then lift
and then dig one more turn.