homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gypsum was Tillers...was Soil
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:44:33 -0500

Don Bowen wrote:
If I busted up a 4x8 sheet, how would you spread that out and how long
would you wait until you 'amended' the soil again?

No need to buy sheets of Drywall, just go buy bags of Gypsum unless you have
a pile of scrap drywall left over. Gypsum is best for heavy clay soil. The
gypsum helps break up the bonding and loosens the soil. In heavy adobe I
added gypsum every year.

I have a pile of scrap pieces taking up space in my barn that I got off freecycle. I used some when we had rabbits, but I still have a pile. I'd offer it again on freecycle, but now rats and birds and barn critters have fertilized it.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge