homestead - Re: [Homestead] pigs

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pigs
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:37:41 -0500

> OK cheap food,,,, would leftover plate scraps from resturants qualify if I
> could convince a local resturant? I'd have to calc out the fuel costs to
> drive to town on the scooter - but that is probably doable... While I
> don't drive to town often, mom usually goes to town 2-3 x a week, and my
> brother maybe once a week.

A lot of people around here clamor for the supermarket throw outs. One
guy feeds Entenmen (sp) cakes to his goats. I'd just want to make sure
that what I give my animals is not pesticide laden. Like produce
department waste. Also, I'd not feed my goats snack cakes. After all,
I'm going to eat them later. Guess it depends on the restaurant. There
is a seafood place here that I've considered trying to get plate
scrapings from.

> Found out yesterday, my dad has rigged up a hoist thing to pull engines out
> of cars.... and I think that will be quite suitable for letting some pig
> meat age.... if that is needed. Is it needed?

Yes, probably more than you need. I bought a pulley and have it
hanging from a post between two trees.

Rob - Va