homestead - Re: [Homestead] pigs

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pigs
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:24:06 -0800 (PST)

-On Sun, 1/18/09, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> After the cuts have cured for three weeks (resalting on a
> schecule), some are
> sliced and frozen and others are wrapped in cheesecloth and
> hung behind the
> kitchen stove where they dry on the outside to a preserving
> rind. Better still
> is to smoke them and the smoke thwarts mold. Mold
> isn't a big problem, if
> the cut molds, just trim it away and the rest of the meat
> is fine ... enhanced
> actually.

My parents, grandparents, and neighbors "sugar cured" ham, shoulders, and
bacon. It was a mixture of red and black peppers, brown sugar, and I believe
salt. It was rubbed all over the meat, which was wrapped in newspaper, and
then placed in a sack and hung up in an unheated room in the house where it
stayed until we got it out to use.
Van Dell