homestead - Re: [Homestead] pigs

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pigs
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:02:32 -0800 (PST)

Plan would be to stock my own fridge...

I don't think I would want a gigantic pig for slaughtering.  It is likely
that I wouldn't have any help on slaughtering day.  I was thinking along the
lines of having two adults for breeding, and slaughtering the younger smaller
pigs.  Any reason not to do this?

OK cheap food,,,, would leftover plate scraps from resturants qualify if I
could convince a local resturant?  I'd have to calc out the fuel costs to
drive to town on the scooter - but that is probably doable...  While I don't
drive to town often, mom usually goes to town 2-3 x a week, and my brother
maybe once a week.

I don't have a source for milk --- unless I get goats.   Would goat milk do?
How does it change the flavor of the meat?  Sweeter?

 I think a cow would be too much to handle given desert limitations, although
many around here do have 1-2 heads of cattle in the "back yard" which are
raised on locallyl grown alfalfa.  Not sure what the finished cost
is......... but my dad actually wants me to do that.

Yes, it is common sense that pigs need a lot of water... just like other
animals.

On agression in animals, totally agree.  I did the same thing with agressive
roosters.  I know they couldn't understand me, but I would flat out them
them, "attack me once again and into the stew pot you go."  The warning
usually lasted all of 24 hrs....  LOL.

Found out yesterday, my dad has rigged up a hoist thing to pull engines out
of cars.... and I think that will be quite suitable for letting some pig meat
age.... if that is needed.  Is it needed?

Hopefully, since I've been the pied piper of animals before, that pigs and/or
goats won't be too much of a challenge.  Now gardening......... that's a
whole 'nother story.

--- On Sun, 1/18/09, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> >Do they like raw onions?

They are very individual in their tastes. Some pigs will crash through the
fecnce to get at an onion and some will not touch them.

We have the image of pigs wantonly and indiscriminately scarfing down all and
sundry, but they don't. They are acutally very picky eaters, the just have
very wide range of things they will eat (including you, if they got the
chance). One we raised did not like fava beans. When I had a five gallon
bucket
of scraps, grain, etc. all soaked in milk, the pig flew into it and in the
end
the trough had every single fava bean still intact but nothing else.

Now here's my addition to the pig discussion: If you have enough feed and

rich enough feed, a pig will get enormous. Pig feed is among the pricier
things at the feed'n'seed. BUT you don't necessarily have to end
up with a
gigantonormous pig. Feed the pig what you have or can get cheaply or free.
Instead
of the pig dressing out at 400 lbs, suppose you "only" get 250 lbs of
pork, or
100??

The agribusiness model says: 400 lbs of pork for $500 in feed and expenses,
$1.25 a pound! Not bad.

The pastoral model says: 100 lbs of pork for no money at all. Even better!

If the plan is to sell some of the pork (and this is easy and legal to do),
then shuffling some money around might make some sense.

But if the only goal is homestead pork, the pastoral model, says I, fits best.

Let me emphasize what has already been covered, pigs need LOTS of water. In
hot weather they will die without it. If a pig shows aggression, kill it and
eat it right then and get another pig. Life's too short to deal with
aggressive farm animals when you don't really have to. Pigs are indeed
like 600 lb
puppy dogs.

You can keep a pig in with an electric fence ... right until he doesn't
want
to be kept in badly enough. That is, when he's mad or frightened.

Pigs are intelligent, but 98% of that intelligence is geared toward getting
food. In other matters they are often as dumb as dirt. If food is
involved,
give it up, the pig knows many more tricks than you can even imagine. In all
other matters, expect instinct rather than reason to prevail.

Pigs will eat grass and hay, they will chew twigs and branches. If you are
where you can gather acorns, you can add lots of pounds to a pig.

Pork from a milk fed pig looks, smells, and tastes very different from a chop
fed pig. The milk can be in the form of buttermilk from butter making or
whey from cheese making or any other form. If you are using simple detergent
do your dishes, feed the dishwater to the pig. Pigs love to eat coffee
grounds and tea bags. Spent brewing grains are also great so long as they
have
not
overly soured. If they do sour, the pigs won't eat them. Assume anything
in
the kitchen that still has even a little nutritional value left is fodder for
the pig.
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com