homestead - Re: [Homestead] pigs

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pigs
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:59:07 -0800

any dairies nearby? Old bread stores? A grocery store might save you all the produce junk.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

I've slaughtered a lot of animals for food, and didn't even give the ones headed for slaughter names for that reason. I've had a couple of roosters and hens I really liked, but even those eventually wound up in the stew pot.

We definitely don't have much in the way of table scraps - not enough for pigs. The feed cost is definitely a factor to consider.

My grandmother used to save the table scraps for them, and they loved them, but it was just a small desert added to the feed slop they were fed. I definitely like the idea of letting them root up the garden after season.

I figure that this first year is part of an experiment to see if I can convince my black thumb to turn green,,, and if so,,,,,,, before I add on animals pig or goat size, that I have to make sure I can grow a good portion of their food for them as opposed to the feed store.

Do they like raw onions? I found out yesterday that one of the local packing houses has an "onion dumping field".... where they discard any onions that have bruises, are double onions, etc. stuff that doesn't pass packing standards. They let the locals gather all they want for free. I know bruised onions can be sliced up and frozen, just cut out the bruised part.