homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cell phone privacy, fugidaboudit

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cell phone privacy, fugidaboudit
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:54:39 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2009 7:36:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> >So it could well be a scam.
> Still, much of their site appears legit.

I wouldn't view it so much as a scam as reflecting the current practice of
never testing any product but having a generous refund or replacement policy.

When you buy a cell phone, electronic game, and most computers, they have
never
been tested beyond powering them up, and often not even that. The
manufacturing process is very reliable and if one out of thirty craps out and
they need
to replace it, it's far cheaper than testing them.

For these phone sites they are probably relying on the odds that most numbers
you submit they can trace, and if not they can make some token effort at
refunding or crediting your fee. It would be far cheaper than testing all
the
numbers beforehand.

> >To know for sure that number has not been assigned, one would have to
> call it.

Or happen to know that it is one of the company's test numbers and will never
be assigned.