homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anthropology

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anthropology
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:48:29 EST

> >Maybe "we", down below the Canadian border got the wimpy ones <g> They
> lived quite peacefully in several places.

Maybe. The site described in the saga has been identified as the L'Anse Aux
meadows in Newfoundland. A great deal has been made about other passages in
the sagas and chronicles in which ships from 'Markland' and 'Vinland' are
mentioned as if they were nothing out of the ordinary.

>From the Grœnlendinga Saga :

"Thorvald then said: "Here it is beautiful, and here would I like to raise my
dwelling." Then went they to the ship, and saw upon the sands within the
promontory three elevations, and went thither, and saw there three skin
boats, and
three men under each. Then divided they their people, and caught them all,
except one, who got away with his boat. They killed the other eight, and then
went back to the cape,and looked round them, and saw some heights inside of
the
firth, and supposed that these were dwellings."