homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cell phone privacy, fugidaboudit

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cell phone privacy, fugidaboudit
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:12:14 EST

> >I don't care enough to spend the buck. You? Sheesh, that is almost the
> value of a bottle of decent beer.

Good heavens, no! I don't care a wit whether they have my cell number or
not. And I'd much rather have the beer.

But as Lynda pointed out, it doesn't mean they really have the info. Type
some meaningless phrase in Google, such as "green aardvark kidneys" and at
least
one of the hits will return "Get the best deal on green aardvark kidneys at
....." Yet you know it is just a tease to get you to click on the site, no
body is selling green aardvark kidneys.

Like that, sites like the Intelius site simply takes whatever you give them
and makes it into an offer with the proviso that they will refund your money
through some Byzantine process that you would never follow through on.

I just punched up the site again and gave it a number with a valid area code,
valid exchange, but a number that I know does not exist. The report came
back that, yes, we found that number and will tell you the name, average
income,
and home value for a fee. Pure crap. It also incorrectly identified the
cell
number as a land line.

James