homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chinampas

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chinampas
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:27:42 -0800 (PST)

Bev:  <<<<"You really should qualify that with 'Wealthy people" because the
poor don't have any money to invest." >>>>

Remember the conversation about knives and buying the best quality etc?
It is the same with money.  (Silver is also money.)

Paper money is working towards becoming worthless.  Unfortunately most people
don't understand this (although that CNN video link Bob posted explains the
underlying reason why it is going to unfold without so stating).

Gold/silver is only for after things needed to survive IMO.    If I hit the
lotto tomorrow, I'd still be first buying tons of gardenings, food storage,
solar, better land, weapons, etc.

When I read about Weimar hyperinflation, it became clear that people
sometimes rushed out twice a day just to buy stuff before it became more
expensive - so to me the survival stuff would be the priority.... not canned
goods per se (although saving chocolate in a "can" would sure taste good
somewhere down the road...) but sustainable survival things.

My parents both went thru the depression and pretty muchc understand the
overall concepts of depression and hyperinflation macros issues at hand now.
They are in denial at one level (the acknowledge it but don't act on
knowledge),,,,,,,,,   They dont' have any issue with me gardening etc
(probably a what if she's right type thing more than anything else...)

Dad's ok with the garden and chickens etc, as long as I keep the place
looking "nice".  He actually can hardly walk anymore, and often can't follow
a conversation.  I'd be happy if he just sat in the "airplane hanger" (his
garage) and showed me how to use the power tools safely.  The hardest part is
he gets stuff in his head the way he wants to do something without having any
concept of function needed.....so it can be a battle at times.  My mom's
getting pretty old too, and I suspect she needs a full knee replacement and
probably soon which is going to present some challenges, as dad can't help,
can't stand long enough to cook.

My brother lives on the property too, but he's useless - quite likely 8 or
more split personalities from what I can tell.  He even refers to himself as
"we" --- as in "we don't like the soup you made today".  Most of the day his
various personalities argue with each other so he doesn't get much done....
and one is a real prankster always hiding stuff on the main? personality.  I
hadn't been around him since he was 11 years old - so it has been quite an
experience this past year.  One of the personalities is downright dangerous,
and has landed himself in jail and mental institutions a few times.

I briefly met a nieghbor yesterday.  Her hub is in the middle east so she
couldn't explain much, but they are 100% off grid.  12 solar batteries for
the house, 12 solar batteries for the water pump.... at least she thinks what
they did.  I'm hoping to meet him some day and get a tour.