homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chinampas

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chinampas
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:25:41 -0500

In another post you wrote that people turn to gold during times of
economic hyperinflation. You really should qualify that with 'Wealthy
people" because the poor don't have any money to invest.
I know you know that. I'm excited about how your life is changing with the desert gardening and meeting that man. I can't wait until you start harvesting and reaping the benefit of your work. I'm also glad that your Dad seems to be getting on board with you. It is always easier with family support.
The most supportive person in my family was my stepfather's father, a man who grew up on a south Georgia farm and lived that lifestyle his entire life. Before he died, I worked on my stepfather's genealogy, and as it turned out, some of his ancestors(just a few generations back) came from Alabama, sure, but before that, they lived not 2 miles from where I live now, and in fact his ancestors founded the little church on my road and there are two nearby roads named for that family. Once I made this ironic discovery, and that was about the time that the homestead really bumped into high gear, the rest of the family sort of came onboard and saw the logic of getting back to basics on lifestyle. I think, once they knew I was committed and serious, they accepted that.

Bev

Leslie wrote:

Gold - it's good for a hyperinflation. Post hyperinflation is a coin
toss. If memory serves me right there is already talk of at least 2
other countries returning to a gold standard, post US collapse. Then
there is talk of a one world currency. Who knows which way the wind
will blow ultimately, certainly not I.

For me at the practical level, it all means learn how to grow food,
tough times are ahead.

Downside Risk? None. There is no downside to learning how to grow
food.

--- On Sun, 1/11/09, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com