homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chinampas

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chinampas
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:58:52 -0500

I figure whatever still needs to be acquired off-property is
something each homesteader needs to look at and have a plan for.

I think most homesteaders are doing that or have done that as much as
possible already. Regardless of the economy, we do this because it
makes sense for us. We don't change operational procedures when the
dark clouds approach because we generally don't have too...we are
already in the basement-we live in the storm shelter, so to speak.
I'm having financial issues, but the only thing left cut back back on is
the phone. If I eliminated phone and TV, I'd save $75/month. That is
my last non-vital expense that I can lose. I conserve as much as I can,
I grow as much as I can, and I save as much as I can. It may get so bad
that my efforts are not enough, but for now, I am doing all I can.

Me too. I still have a little slack that I can cut if it comes down to it..*.I* could live off of what I grow, but I still buy groceries (mostly for the bottomless-pit teenagers). I have basic TV cable (12 channels), and basic phone...did you ever look at a phone bill? It's absurd. My basic service is about $16. The government charges... taxes, surcharge, fees, etc. double the bill. I don't use the phone much, but I'd like to have my kids live in the current century, where their friends can call them.

The kids father bought them each a computer (I get the hand-me-downs...a Frankenstein computer cobbled together from old bits and pieces), and he pays for cable modem so he can IM them (I ride along for free on the cable modem). One of the few perks in my life :-)

Lynn Wigglesworth