homestead - Re: [Homestead] Indians ; Homesteading and beyond ... was Corn Fed

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Indians ; Homesteading and beyond ... was Corn Fed
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:33:48 -0800

O.K., don't anyone get their bloomers in a bunch or anything, but whenever I see that I have to laugh. There's a story told in my little corner of the world about an old auntie who had a young man come to her and tell her he was "part Indian" and she asked him what part. And, since we're talking about the Cherokee, here's a Cherokee poem that addresses this also:

I BE TSALAGI!!

This morning I looked in the mirror,
I stared intensely at what I saw,
Trying to figure out if it was
My eyes, my nose or my jaw.
~
Maybe it's my ears, I thought,
or maybe it's my chin,
I'm sure that I will figure out
what is my "part' that is Indian.
~
Maybe it's my arms, or hands
or some little internal gland,
I sure hope I can soon find out
what "part" is Indian.
~
You see to some that means a lot
to them it's a big deal,
So maybe it's my knees or toes
or maybe my left heel.
~
But, you see, I don't understand
what this "part" stuff means,
Because in my heart I know
just who and what I be.
~
That from the top ofmy Tsalagi head,
to the tip of my Tsalagi toes,
~
With every beat of my Tsalagi heart
Every fiber of me knows
That it is not the "degree of blood"
That makes me what I be.
~
It is the spirit of Tsalagi
that dwells within, you see.
~
So with every breath I take
I'm as sure as I can be that.....
~
I BE TSALAGI!!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I don't know, but I can see, after thinking for a second or so, why the term I used would not be acceptable. Since he probably looks white, I would say maybe "half Cherokee" ?