homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anti-virus software

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anti-virus software
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:59:28 -0500

I've been battling bugs in the office machine for two or three weeks. It has Symantic antivirus corporate edition and I was lulled into believing it was immune. :( Since discovering the first trojan I have downloaded several anti-spyware, used them and removed them, as each and every one has found "problems." The latest is avast which seemed to have got rid of everything until this morning I ran a scan and it found another bug. I was completely fed up, threw in the restore disk and discovered it wouldn't load, "only to be used on a pavilion." IT IS A PAVILION! So I went into the internal recovery section but it told me it needed an administrator password. I am the admin! I changed my password and tried again, failed again. I give up. This notebook wasn't online and took awhile to figure out how to get it there. Happy New Year!

I guess I'll give AVG and superanti a try. Thanks.

Robert Walton wrote:
I've used AVG on my computers for years. This is a work computer so it
has McAfee and I've had lots of problems with that. AVG is great.

Spyware and Malware are more of an issue than viruses now. I've been
using Super Anti-Spyware for that. I was wary of it because of the
name, but it found and removed the demon that almost brought me down a
few weeks ago.
http://www.superantispyware.com/