homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomato question

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomato question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 18:06:16 -0500

Lynda wrote:
NO! Do NOT leave on the vine. Remove the tomatoes. The pH increases (acidity decreases) dramatically once the vine of a tomato is killed.

Hmm. I have some still hanging on a dead vine in my greenhouse. (two
left). I had a vine with about 40 green toms on it, so I dug it out of
my bed and half reburied it in the recycled soil container in my
greenhouse. Since early November, the vine has died, but the tomatoes
have been okay to eat. They weren't the best tasting tomatoes to begin
with, so it is hard to judge how they are on taste. I use a few every
week or so..they are small toms,,,,I have pulled them off to use in
tomato sauce or chili. I can see that for canning a lower acid tomato
might be a bad thing though.
Do you think Lynda, that our acid soil makes for a more acid tomato to
begin with?

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."