homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomato question

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomato question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:39:00 -0500

Bob,
Somewhere I have a recipe for pickled green cherry tomatoes; I'll dig it out. If I remember right they were called fireballs or something like that because they are spicy. There might even be a couple pints in the pantry. As for ripening them, yeah, pick them and spread them out, cover with newspaper; or Gin likes to put a couple in a brown paper sack to ripen quicker. I like to clip a whole bunch of cherry tomatoes, branch and all, and let them ripen on the stick.

bobf wrote:
Bev, if you are still online this am (or somewone else that has a minute); a
few nights ago. it was cold enough to kill most of one of my two tomato
patches. Most of most of the bushes are dead. But, they are filled with
green tomatoes. Should I leave them on the dead bushes to ripen as long as
possible. Will they ripen on the windowsill if I pick them green? I could
make fried green tomatoes out of the bigger one , but I have bushes full of
green cherry tomatoes, aslo. I' would prefer for them all to ripen, if there
is a way