homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomato question

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomato question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 16:03:46 -0500

bobf wrote:
Bev, if you are still online this am (or somewone else that has a
minute); a few nights ago. it was cold enough to kill most of one of
my two tomato patches. Most of most of the bushes are dead. But,
they are filled with green tomatoes. Should I leave them on the dead
bushes to ripen as long as possible. Will they ripen on the
windowsill if I pick them green? I could make fried green tomatoes
out of the bigger one , but I have bushes full of green cherry
tomatoes, aslo. I' would prefer for them all to ripen, if there is a
way

I read Keith's reply and I have made those fireballs...they are good..make the recipe when he posts it.

You can pull the dead vines and hang the vine in a sunny window and some of the more ripe ones will ripen. They will also ripen off the vine. FGT are a favorite, you should definitely make some to remind yourself of home.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)