homestead - Re: [Homestead] wood stoves

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wood stoves
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:25:06 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:
The stove comes apart in pieces for transport. Just use some split
wood as a cushion?
An old pallet would be good for the stove body, and plenty of other pieces of wood to cushion other parts. I'd just take a couple of old palles and a bunch of scrap lumber and go from there. I'd take apart anything that comes apart, it will ride safer as individual parts than bolted together or whatever, legs off platform (or maybe platform upside-down with legs in the air if there's room in the bed), warming shelves off, etc, and none it it riding against anything but wood or air, near as I could. I'd also put a small pallet standing against the cab, probably, just in case, that thing would make a lousy front-seat rider..... Not only is cast iron brittle, but the weather's not warm, which isn't a lot of help right now, seems to me it breaks easier when it's cold; just be really careful and it'll be fine.

Make sure he's got tools to take it apart, or maybe the person there could get it apart ahead of time if you know for sure you want it.

I'd ask for the lid lifter/s, the soot cleaner, grate shaker if there is one, and any racks, just to make sure they come along. I'd also ask if there is a coal liner/grates and get that stuff too, if I could. Not all had them, and they were often optional when they did exist, but no sense letting them go to waste, which is likely what would happen if you didn't get them, and it increases your fuel options.

You'll like cooking on wood (or I do, anyway) and it will fast come to be where everyone gravitates in the winter. Have fun!

SJ