homestead - Re: [Homestead] Land for homesteading

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Land for homesteading
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:46:43 -0500

On Dec 22, 2008, at 10:27 AM, sjc wrote:

I deliberately chose marginal land (rocky, steep, requiring hard
labor to exploit it
even for gardening, much less farming), knowing that it, while always
being reliable to support us, would never hold value to those whose
purpose was to make/have money, but it has provided a rich living for
me, and for my kids while they were still home.

A wise decision. I have long advised just that. Such land is low-
priced, low-taxed, and of no interest to agribusiness people,
developers and politicians. Ideally, such homestead land is surrounded
by thousands of acres of equally undesirable land.

My land, too, isn't worth much to anyone but me. It's the 'homestead' part of an old farm; 3/4 of my land is on a steep ridge behind the house. Not bad for a woodlot and grazing, but useless for any building or other 'easy money making'. All the best farmland was across the street and is now sprouting McMansions.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA