homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:18:34 -0500

You remind me of my best friend A, Bob, you are out of touch with the
lower echelons. There has been a separation for quite a number of
years now.

Since the time I moved here (12 years ago) there is a very clear separation between those who make minumum wage (or less, like farmers), and the 'professionals'. 'Professional' here means teachers, bank executives, etc., who at most make $50,000, but they are two different worlds.

In my last two jobs, I have been subjected to discrimination and
harassment. At the grocery store, the owner told the manager than when
he walked through the store, he did not want to see me, a 40 year old
woman, he wanted to see a pretty young thing whose butt he wanted to
slap as he walked by. More recently, in my last job, I made less than
half of my male co-workers doing the same do.

At 53, I can't even get an interview for a minimum wage job. But that's not the current crisis; jobs have been tight here for years. There are so many applicants for every minimum wage job that they don't even have to interview us 'old ladies'..

But we aren't worried, Bob, because there will soon be lots of low
income burger flipping jobs.<G>

I can only hope :-) The difference between me and the middle class is that I could actually live on minumum wage. I don't have an expensive lifestyle to support.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA