homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:21:44 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Since the time I moved here (12 years ago) there is a very clear separation between those who make minumum wage (or less, like farmers), and the 'professionals'. 'Professional' here means teachers, bank executives, etc., who at most make $50,000, but they are two different worlds.

Absolutely.., for the sake of my argument, I just lumped it together. There is a huge standard of living difference just in folks under 50k.

At 53, I can't even get an interview for a minimum wage job. But that's not the current crisis; jobs have been tight here for years. There are so many applicants for every minimum wage job that they don't even have to interview us 'old ladies'..

But we aren't worried, Bob, because there will soon be lots of low
income burger flipping jobs.<G>

I can only hope :-) The difference between me and the middle class is that I could actually live on minumum wage. I don't have an expensive lifestyle to support.

Sorry Lynn, I wasn't thinking and did not mean to rub salt in the wounds.

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men
asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive
at their destination.