homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:50:55 -0500

bobf wrote:

By the way, Bev. I consider you and I to be the same 'class'.

There is no way you are this low on the class totem. Sorry.

Some
of this labeling is very frustrating for me. In a few years when your mortgage is paid off, and, if the real estate prices have picked
back up, your net asset value could be larger than mine, if I have
to spend my capital between now and then. If I lose my medical insurance; 2 or 3 bad medical events w/hospitilization could completely wipe me out. Never think I don't know that fear of being completely 'without'.

Even with medical insurance, this latest trip to the ER might wipe me out.

Do you see the contrast?

Even if my net asset is greater than yours, that doesn't feed me or buy
medicine or pay real estate taxes, which would also be greater than
yours.

I appreciate you taking the time to converse, and would like to continue this conversation, but, Bev; I need to know you understand, I am not rich, I am middle class; and yes I consider anyone who makes
less than $200,000 per year middle class if they live in the city, but for the past couple of years, I not only didn't make that much, if you factor in my losses, I lost that much per year.

I don't think it is as much about income as lifestyle and thinking.
The labeling is no good, but that is all we have so we have to make sure
that we are as specific as we can be. My working class are those guys
like my dh, who punch a clock, maybe a wear a uniform or ID badge. In a
white collar work, they would be the file clerks or the receptionists,
and maybe the secretaries, but my SIL is a legal sec in the financial
industry and she makes almost 5x as much as dh, so she is NOT working
class, IMO...her jobs has lots of perks, walks around with bluetooth in
her ear 24/7, kids go to private schools, they get a yearly ski trip to
CO, etc. etc. She claims to be in my class, too...no way.

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men