homestead - Re: [Homestead] out of the blue

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] out of the blue
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:28:46 -0500

To: <wce1482 AT yahoo.com>; <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:51 PM

william Eggers wrote:
Try turmeric.

I can hardly stock enough of it. Jeannie also takes that and it comes
highly recommended by a lot of folks. Wiki has an excellent article on
some of the uses and research involving turmeric.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

I do have two large containers of different curries, so I suppose I
could do that, but while I like curry, I can't imagine taking it every
day.

It would be great to grow it. I checked and I see that it might be
possible here. It's tropical, so I might have to take special
precautions, but it might be possible.
http://www.urbanharvest.org/advice/othergardening/ginger_galangal.htm
That page suggests that the gingers can be grown in Houston, and seeing
that it is the ginger family gives me a bit of hope, because I have kept
a ginger plant alive in a large pot here, but only in the greenhouse.
I think it would be worth a try, especially if global warming continues
it's trend<g>.

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men
asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive
at their destination.