homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cayadopi AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:30:24 -0500

>> Of how about olive oil or veggie oil ---- that means using lard - unless
>> someone here knows how to make veggie oil. (Or butter, for those that have
>> a cow - hey can we make butter form goat milk?).

I milk goats and you'd need a cream separator to get cream off the
goat milk to make butter. Goat milk is pre "homogenized". Also, the
butter would be pure white. Too much of a pain for me, but lots do it.

Lard is very doable. I used lard for most of my cooking. It gives a
much better product. Fats off animals that are on pasture and eating a
natural diet are better for you, too. Lard keeps well if it's well
rendered. I try to stay away from hydrogenated fats. A pig fits in
nicely to the homestead and is something that you can butcher at home,
also.

Rob - Va