homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:31:09 -0500

bob ford wrote:

Of how about olive oil or veggie oil ---- that means using lard - unless someone here knows how to make veggie oil. (Or butter, for those that have a cow - hey can we make butter form goat milk?).

You can make butter from goat's milk, but you really need a cream
separator. It takes a while to collect enough cream because the
butterfat 'cream' doesn't separate out like it does in cow's milk. If
you don't have a cream separator, you wait a few days and then skim off
the 'cream', saving it in a jar. When you get enough, you make butter.
It takes a while.

There are even ingredients in the kitchen I have no idea how to make,
like molasses, or vinegar, or baking soda or b.powder..... I care more about those things, than whether or not my TV will convert to a digital signal.... LOL. It's much more important.

You can make molasses from sorghum or sugar cane.
Vinegar can be make from the peels or cores or overripe fruit of almost
any fruit
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, not something you make...This one you
need to buy...
You can substitute cream of tartar(the acidifier) and baking soda for
baking powder if you don't have it. Baking powder needs the acidifier,
and in a pinch you can use vinegar. If you are using an acidified milk,
like buttermilk, you already have the acid.
Here is a quick page on the two:
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda