homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:59:17 EST

>> As a homeschooler, I had the answer to all
> those problems--take the kids out of school!

Cathy, we're a homeschooling family too. And your comparison is right on.
Another similarity is that government school parents get defensive (as if
they
somehow know the truth of it) and say, 'You're saying I'm a bad parent....."

Homeschoolers are saying no such thing. We are simply saying that if you
homeschool, you will get the results of homeschooling and if you send your
children to government schools, you will get the results of government
schooling.
And the two are not the same. Choose your resluts and thereby choose what
you
do with your children. But spare me the "Right for some people but not for
others, I couldn't do it because, .... etc. etc."

The same is true of the non-mechanical homestead lifestyle. I can't, for
example, scrape my road in a day. But then again, I don't want to. 50 feet
at a
time with the horse pulling the harrow and me following with a shovel and
rake does fine for us all (me and the horse). If for some reason I was
invested
in doing the whole 2000 feet in a day, I'd be making a different choice,.

The most important crop I am growing on this homestead is me. Bringing in a
tractor, rototiller, riding mower, or hiring a bulldozer or bushhog.
diminishes my most important crop.

Now, if you scythed an acre in two days you did quite well indeed. I do a
quarter acre a day if I devote myself to it, and most of the time I don't
(devote myself).

James