homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:19:11 -0800

James, would you race a Clydesdale against a thoroughbred? Would you hook up an Arab to plow your field? Would you do an 8-pony hitch to pull the Budweiser wagons?

Would you pit George Bush against Bobby Fisher in a chess match? Steven King against Joe Montana as quarterback? Would you pit Michelle Obama against Sarah Palin in the Alaskan wilderness?

Would you tell the Clydesdale's trainer that just because Clydesdales have a "genetic predisposition" to rarely get out of a walk or trot that it would behove them to get that Clyde's arse in gear? That Steven King simply isn't practicing enough? That all women are created equal and that Michelle Obama is a slacker because she can't shoot and dress a moose? That the ponies simply need to work harder?

I find this obsession or tunnel-vision to be most peculiar coming from an unschooler when the very tenents of unschooling is that every child is an individual and each will learn in their own individual way what they need to know when they need to know it and that no two children are alike. Most peculiar!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I;ve still got to wonder what difference that makes. It has been argued that
some people are genetically more prone to be violent. It doesn't mean that
their violence is accepted because of that. Even if someone were genetically
predisoposed to be sedentary in their habits (which I much misdoubt), they will
suffer the same consequences as someone who chose to be that way ... and they
would benefit from reversing that habit same as anyone else would.