homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fitness

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fitness
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:22:30 -0800

White rice or brown? White flour (breads, etc.) or whole wheat?

Think of it as cross training..if you are always reaching and picking up
rocks with your right hand, then switching to your left is challenging
and builds up your strength evenly.

Actually, I did think of someone who exercises, but she only rides a
stationary bike...year round.. I can't count her though because she eats
better than anyone I know..her cholesterol is like 120 or something
ridiculous like that...they weigh their portions, and monitor everything
they eat. I suppose that works-neither of them is overweight or even
pudgy, but it seems like such a sacrifice to me to eat that way. To me,
that would feel like deprivation and that is something I couldn't stick to..

I started changing my habits years ago. I rarely eat fried foods. I
eat venison instead of beef. I eat my own pork, chicken and rabbit. I
made small changes all along....less boxed food...I went back to
butter(I still have marg, but only use it sometimes) I eat more rice
and fewer potatoes...I take the stairs instead of elevators..I walk to
the mailbox instead of drive(and sometimes I skip and walk backwards),
etc. etc. All of these little things have added up over the years. I
have never really gone on a for real diet, at most, I just think higher
protein, lower carbs when I am making snack choices.

I don't have any desire to be skinny and weigh 130 again. But by losing
weight, I am helping my joints and hopefully prolonging my activity.
Plus, the next time I go to Grand Teton, I'm walking up to that
waterfall I missed because I was an out of shape, out of breath smoker.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda