homestead - Re: [Homestead] Amish and heart disease

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Amish and heart disease
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:41:48 -0500

It's never too late. In Pollan's book, he writes about a study done on Australian aborigines. They had moved into villages and adopted a Western lifestyle; type 2 diabetes was rampant. The investigator took a few people (10? 15?) with diabetes and put them back 'in the wild' for 7 weeks. They had to find their own food, as their people had until they 'Westernized'. At the end of 7 weeks, they showed remarkable improvement in all the things they measured....blood sugat, glucose tolerance, triglycerides, etc. Some had 'normal' readings. He doesn't say what happened next; I suspect they went back to being Westernized. An alternate lifestyle isn't easy to maintain, but it's a good lesson that we can take responsibility for our own health.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA, where I just shoveled 8 inches of beautiful fresh snow.
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>