homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:45:09 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Nature says 'the strong', not necessarily 'the prepared' will
survive............

You need to get out into Nature more often, Bob. The prepared ARE the strong.

I did not follow the first part of this gold thread because I don't
understand half of it<g>, besides, I've been planting trees for
silvopasture(thornless honey locust for feed pods), hazelnuts and a
Stayman Winesap inside the garden fence. But now that we are talking
preparedness...
Knowledge is power, but only if there is a need for knowledge. I could
learn more about economics, and maybe I should, but in my world,
learning to grow rice is more important, right now, anyway. I have GOT
to find a pool or something...
Some knowledge can be acquired from books-IMO, economics is mostly
theory anyway, right? but in the real world, in the world where the soil
is rocky and the ground is cold in December, planting potatoes in tires
seems like a more worthy endeavor than worrying about having gold to
barter later. I am hopeful that the 50+ black walnuts I planted will
grow up and provide some income in 30+ years. (I'm still looking for
ash trees, James) That's my gold...and maybe the nuts, one helluva
source of protein, will be barter goods along the way...
I have 3 priorities, food, clothing, and shelter...Ron's job takes care
of the shelter, for now. Things are not looking good. He will be a
Ford trickle down casualty as he works at a single point Ford dealer.
Actually, we are in double trouble, because even before all the
bankruptcy/bailout talk, Ford wanted to shut them down because of
warranty issues-the dealership isn't criminal, just stupid, and they are
doing nothing to change matters)
I suppose economics doesn't interest me because I have less than $50 in
the bank, and I need 38 for the truck tag... what's the best way to
invest a measly $12? :) I guarantee you that I can buy more corn, than
gold...<VBG>

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda