homestead - Re: [Homestead] SWAT takes down OH farming family

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SWAT takes down OH farming family
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:56:51 -0700

On Dec 7, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

1-Buy property that has little value to anyone with power or big money;

His was land that had been in the family for several generations. It's
hard to plan that far ahead.

Of course. I don't offer suggestions to rich people; they prefer degreed fiancial advisors and suited real estate consultants. Not my kind of people.

2-Keep a low profile;

I've seen no evidence that he didn't.

Anyone who owns a huge land holding in a spectacular area--my god, a seventy-five-foot waterfall in the back yard!--would have a devil of a time keeping a low profile. He did a lot of things wrong, but I see no profit in pointing them out.

3-Don't give anyone any reason to believe you are doing anything
illegal;

That seems to have been manufactured out of whole cloth by the
anonymous caller. No drugs were found.

It was a set-up for sure. I have been ranting about it for a long time. First heard the story when Chris and I had just moved to Manhattan Beach, the year before I wrote my first edition.

4-Keep dogs that provide warning. This is the first version where it
was written that he had sold a puppy. No mention of adult dogs. If he
had heard warning barks he might be alive and having great fun suing
various government agencies.

I'm all for that. The video shows at least two large dogs. Maybe they
are recent additions or he was a heavy sleeper or -- he lived in a
area where the dogs barked a lot because of wild animals.

Sure. I haven't watched videos about it. He was a heavy drinker. That sometimes means a heavy sleeper. The puppy sold was said to be a Rottweiler, a pretty sturdy breed. Several big barking dogs can be pretty intimidating. Nobody but friends ever got out of their vehicles when Dax was alive.

I know a certain rural judge who keeps nearly ten dogs inside a fenced area surrounding his house, because of threats received from those he sends to prison. Yes, dogs can be shot. But that gives lots of warning, too, unless silencers are used, and if someone wants you that bad you are probably dead no matter what.

Until we get the drug laws under control, anyone can have this kind of
invasion, given even a single neighbor with a grudge and a judge with
a loose pen. At least a warrant is still needed. Or it was last I
heard.

Yet one more reason to be on good terms with your neighbors.

The first rule is to live. At least then you have the court system available. Dead people can't sue.