homestead - Re: [Homestead] What I am Proud of

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What I am Proud of
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 03:45:53 -0500

Lynda wrote:
O.K., now, let me be VERY, VERY clear on this. I think many individual Americans have much to be proud of. HOWEVER, as a country, I would like to know what we have to be proud of. What does/has this country do/done that it has to be proud of.

Now, I don't think that when we clean up a mess we've made that it counts as something to be proud of nor do I feel that things that are done with motive, not something simply done for good without expecting some type of payback, get to count as something to be proud of.

Lynda

We do have much to atone for, but we also have much to be proud of.

I feel like anything I say is going to be jumped on, but I suppose I
will pick up the gauntlet here, because I am still proud of my imperfect
country. I first want to make clear that showing pride doesn't equate
with thinking one is superior. I believe that we are a great country,
but I realize that there are also many other great countries and
hopefully we will all learn from each other.
Our country is relatively young...232 years old. I think we are still
finding our way, nevertheless, we do play a huge part in world affairs.

I do think your caveats, Lynda, are a little harsh. All countries
participate in world affairs with self motive to some degree, because
they are bound to put the welfare of their own citizens first..

But how about the following....

I really think that the whole concept of the United States of America is
something to be proud of. It is a place where an immigrant can pass
through the gates at the border with absolutely nothing, and within a
few years become a millionaire and a state governor. It is a place
where a young person can come, get an education, and take that knowledge
home to make his world better....

Has the government not provided a climate so that you and I, thousands
of miles apart, can talk, criticize the administration, and share
recipes freely and openly? On my astronomy group, our newest member,
whose home is just up the road in Ringgold, is currently in Iraq.
Computers and internet technology and email, born of warfare, proves to
be a tool for enlightenment, for activism, for sharing of peaceful
ideas. An internet connection is more powerful than a warship, as the
transfer of images is powerful(think Tiannamen Square)..for that matter
TV. We all consider TV evil, but TV has definitely changed the world in
a mostly positive way. Our networks and airways are open to any body
with a license.

Just being able to produce the technology for such things implies a a
better than average economy and educational system.... I realize that
technology is a double edged sword, but would we be so concerned about
the environment if we did not have satellites monitoring deforestation,
the ozone hole, sea surface temperatures(leading to climate prediction,
weather forecasting, tsunami warning systems,etc)

And does putting a man on the moon count?

Very often, when it comes to Space, the USA leads the way. We had
Skylab, we service the ISS, and we have Spacewatch looking for
Earthkillers or City-Enders. Of course other countries now model their
similar agencies after ours...

There's the Panama Canal...we built it, and then gave it back to Panama...

Regardless of what you and I think of our own country, there are
millions around the world who are grateful for us. I know you probably
discount the liberation of France or Kuwait or Auschwitz as a warring
nation cleaning up a mess, and maybe so, but those liberated may
disagree. Oh and we got Gorbie to tear down the Wall.<g>

After the Sumatran quake and tsunami in 2004, some of the first rescuers
were the US naval ships that had been in the area, and we sent more
quickly. In Katrina, the Coasties went way above the call of duty in
rescuing people and saving lives. Our people AND our government send
humanitarian aid to countries in need after such disasters, whether it
is a cyclone in Bangladesh or an earthquake in China.

I can also think of two words that make me proud... Safe Haven...And
what about the words on the Statue of Liberty: Give me your
tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the
wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, the
tempest tossed to me.....OR, does the statue of Liberty and what it
represents not count because it was a gift from France? I realize that
as a Native American, you feel differently about those that have come to
this continent; I respect that.
We may not be a perfect country, but a lot of people sure think that
United States is better than their country of origin, judging by the
number of immigrants.

What about music that is uniquely American? Bluegrass, Soul, Rock N
Roll<G>, gospel, country, and jazz?
We lead the world in entertainment film...our food and culture is
emulated around the world. Maybe that doesn't count because it
is not government? I think it counts because our culture, especially
youth culture(dress, music, etc) is often emulated by other countries
and that opens for the door for diplomacy.

Wasn't it the USA (under Teddy Roosevelt) that first instituted the idea
of preserving natural areas and historic places as National Parks? I
believe that idea has also spread around the globe.

What about freedom of religion? In this country, we can worship
excrement should we want to...we can believe in aliens, a red-suited
devils, Mother Nature, or Dr. Seuss<g>...it is all okay...

I wonder about the quality of life for homosexuals in places like China,
Russia, Indonesia, India and Iran..oh wait..no gays in Iran..my bad. ;)
Our freedom of expression and pursuit of happiness ideals allow those
with alternate lifestyles to live in an open manner and not remain 'in
the closet'. We are making a lot of social progress on this issue. On
at least one submarine in the Navy, there is a openly gay guy who is
much loved and respected as anyone else on the boat would be. I am
proud to say that Don't Ask and Don't Tell went right out the torpedo
tube.<g> It is only a matter of a very short time when the policy is
scrapped altogether.

Given a day or so, I might think of more stuff that falls within your
caveats, but tonight I am tired.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda