homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tell me again why Republicans are good for people

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tell me again why Republicans are good for people
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:28:00 -0500

bob ford wrote:
Marie, Medicare hasn't even started hitting the boomer generation, yet, and
it is already broke. yesterday (I think in the WSJ), a leading gov't doc was
talking about using the UK system to determine how much it was worth - for
the gov't-- to prolong a life (about $30,000 for a year, for someone our
age). That is rationing, today, before the gov't admits there is no money.
Anyone who believes health care is not rationed today, now, here, all around us, is living in a dream world. If you were to allowed watch/listen in any emergency room in any major and many minor health care facilities you'd get a really, really fast education about health care and who gets what; unless you've already been there, it would likely be on the order of a shock; they're not all "poor people", but they all lose......

The part that is beginning to distress mainstream America is that it's now moving into the middle classes, whereas before (until say the mid-late sixties, where I was, IN & VA) it was mostly lower income/social levels who came up short, now it's really gaining speed. Now you can make a lot of money, and have the 'best' of records and previous care.....but if it doesn't suit the insurance company to pay they have many ways to shut you out believe me. In addition to outright denial (often with no reason given, bogus reasons perfectly acceptable, etc), there are others: costing services/procedures so high they can't be paid for, delay tactics (dead folks don't need a new kidney), and seemingly endless other ways to deny health services.
Having said that, I think that there is no way, now or in the future, that we can count on seeing a time without rationing. It just isn't within the realm of current possibility, anyway, to expect to live long, replace parts at 'will' or by necessity, and so on without hitting some price barrier. But there sure as the world should be some way to fairly apportion needed services across the board....what we have simply enriches a few at the mercy of the many.

SJ