homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for people

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for people
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:07:08 -0600

Yes, I agree. I live in a spot where at least three of them come together: South, West, East. As of two years ago the Hispanics outnumbered the whites in Texas, so technically I am now a minority, and living so close to Mexico as we do this has always been true. Marketing Texas tourism (what I do) is very interesting, because of the variety. The state's tourism slogan is: Texas, a whole 'nother country.

One of the interesting facts I found out not too long ago is that most of the Hispanics in my part of Texas, whose names mostly end in -es and -ez (ie. Gonzales, Torres, Martinez, etc.) came from Coahuilla, where the Spanish Sephardic Jews once settled. Most of these people have rounded noses, which I had mistakenly assumed was from Indian bloodline. Apparently these Jews left Spain fleeing the Inquisition carrying parts of the Torah inside crucifixes as they pretended to convert to Catholicism. Somewhere along the way, they did become Catholic. Most of the locals are totally unaware of their heritage. I'd like to learn more about this part of history.

Another interesting thing is the Kickapoo Indians live nearby, as well as in the part of WI my husband is from. Apparently a band from the north left and came down here. Sort of an odd coincidence for my husband, as there aren't a lot of Kickapoos in general.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:30:12 -0800 (PST)