homestead - Re: [Homestead] twin google was Re: Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] twin google was Re: Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:05:11 EST

> >James, when you start talking Deepak Chpopra and Ayurvedic thinking you
> venture into areas beyond by beliefs, not to say mine are correct; I just
> don't
> believe in such things .

The beginning of wisdom is when one realizes that our staunch unquestioning
deference to 'science' is also just something we believe in. It is a closed
loop that only accepts itself as validation of itself. What are the odds
that
it ends up appearing to be valid??

> >I have heard of placing pieces of black hose-pipe (to look like snakes);
> is this what you had in mind?

No, noting of the sort. Before adopting the thread method, I used to shoot
several crows during the winter and put them in the freezer. Then at the
critical time I'd hang one up in the corn field (several if there was a big
field of
several plots) and the crows avoid an area that smells of dead crow. It' s
maginally effective.

Someone described to me a crow trap based on the principle that a crow need a
certain amount of space above it to take off. It's a sort of pup-tent shaped
affair 6' tall with an opening 1' wide and as along as the trap on the top
and covered with rusted poultry wire elsewhere. The idea is that the crow
drops
in to get the corn and can't get airborne to get out.

The crows would eat the corn right up to the edge of the trap, but NONE of it
in the trap. No variation or disguising of the affair would tempt them to go
in. There is a built in savvy in a crow to avoid places it can't get out of.

So the idea is this. The crow can't actually see the black thread but due to
air passing over the thread, it's vibration, or just mysticism (and little
odds which), the crow perceives it as a trap. The first year I put up stakes
3'
high every 10' or so in the corn filed and strung the string random among
them. It works but you can't hoe the young corn. After seasons of
experimentation, I find that corn rows 4' apart need only one stake at each
end of the row
and one thread about 30" high and the crows will in no wise go into the corn
field. You can even put corn on the ground between rows and they won't go
there.

These past two years I've had to thin the corn rather than replant it.

James