homestead - Re: [Homestead] twin google was Re: Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] twin google was Re: Kuntsler , new commentary, super-inflation
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:04:46 EST

> >Well, no. From the NYT article

Articles and 'studies' are not the whole of truth. In fact in most
discussions like this one, studies are not so much used to ferret out the
thruth of the
matter as they are used as sabot tossed into a world of possibilities that
one does not want to consider. Discussion is obfuscated by the almost
rhetorical, "Where's the double blind peer reviewed study ...."

As an example different enough from the topic to serve as an example: For
years crows pulling up the newly sprouted corn diminished my corn yield to an
annoying level. I came upon the idea of strining black thread over the
sprouting corn under the notion that there was something obout it that crows
could not
and would not abide. After everything else gave mediocre results or failed
entirely, the black thread worked 100% and has worked every year of the ten
years that I have used it. No crow has pulled up even one corn seedling in
that
time.

In an another homesead forum, someone who did not want that to be true ('I
gave up growing corn because there is NOTHING you can do about the crows!!!')
asked "Well, where is the study that shows this is true??" As far as I
know,
there isn't one. But due to our several ways of approaching reality and
truth,
I have good corn fields every year and he has none.

The most fascinating thing about this genetic question, says I, is that
someone who views the human mechanism as a sort of music box that can in no
wise
play any tune but what is determined by the pegs on the wheel will always
find
100% validation for that point of view. No matter what happens, there is
always the remonstration, 'Ah, see, that's what was in the genes!' There is
never
an penetration of this closed loop of thinking. Whatever happens in the
human
life, it will be viewed as per force being the result of genetic
determination.

Now ... if anyone is interested in giving the limits of their understaning a
push beyond the "Double blind peer reviewed " rut, I recommend a very short
book by one Deepak Chopra who is at the same time an MD and proponent of
mysticism. The book is "Escaping the Prison of the Intellect". Having a
cultural
foot in the Ayurvedic thinking about health, but having at one time been
given
over to the strict mechanistic thinking of western science, he has for a
number of years explored the "mind-body connection". He has authored a good
number of books about the subject, the most notable is probably "Ageless
Body,
Timeless Mind". But the one I'd recommed to add a new dimension to the
present
thread of thought is "Creating Health" (ISBN 0-395-57421-8).

Dr. Chopra describes how the concept and the books derive from two profound
experiences he had as a beginning MD. One, when he was practicing in India
as
an intern, happed as the result of caring for a terminally ill old man and
when Dr. Chopra had to go away for a few days the man said his last goodbyes
opining that he would not be alive when Dr. Chopra returned. As an attempt
at
bedside manner, he said, "I will not say goodbye so you will have to live
until I
return." The trip became complicated and it was several months before he
could return. When he did the many was an absolute human horror of
deterioration, still alive beyond all reasonable medical explanation. When
Dr. Chopra came
to see him, the man said, "There, I have suffered through all these weeks
because you said I could not die until you returned." And the man promptly
died.

The other was when a woman's examination revealed she had terminal and
untreatable cancer. The woman was beside hereself with terror at even before
the
exam and tests began. So much so the woman's daughter begged the Dr. Chopra
not
to reveal the diagnosis to her mother, the daughter said she'd take care of
it in her own way. Months later the woman returned for an exam and Dr.
Chopra
found no traces of cancer whatever. The woman was cheery and relaxed and
said
that when Dr. Chopra had not confirmed her deep seated fears that she might
have cancer, she stopped worrying about it. It seems her daughter never told
her.

>From this the good doctor began to keep his eyes open for evidence of a
possible mind-body connection and how people might consciously make use of
it.
It's one place to look if one has the predisposition to look beyond the view
of
the human being as a genetically determined windup toy.

James